Change of plea

June 24, 2009 by  
Filed under Featured, News

After three visits to the Sparta Municipal Court, Clem finally received some great news. His initial plea of guilty, the key component of the infraction that began this whole saga, was changed to not guilty. Eventually, this allowed him to plead down to possession of paraphernalia, and under the current Homeland Security guidelines, this is not a deportable offense. So, while it is impossible to undue the great strain the prior legal machinations have placed upon Clem and his family, he can now remain confident that the proceedings will not be replicated in the future.

In other news, Clem was hoping to become a US citizen on June 1st. With his court hearing originally scheduled for March and then May, the time line for his citizenship initially seemed possible. Unfortunately, he was forced to wait for Homeland Security to clear him legally. It is late June, and he has only now been before the court. Obviously, his desire to become a citizen will have to wait for a date in the future.

He’s Out!!!

December 18, 2008 by  
Filed under Featured, News

In a turn of events fitting of this Kafka-esque plot line, Clem was released on parole this past Tuesday night (December 16th). The circumstances were odd to say the least. Clem was suddenly asked to gather his things and after moving through a series of holding cells he was driven towards Manhattan. Approaching Newark airport, Clem still didn’t know if he was being deported, shipped of to Texas or something else. But they passed by the airport and eventually dropped Clem off on a street in Manhattan at 7:30pm in the middle of a snowstorm without any cash. One collect call later and this chapter of the bizarre drama finally come to a close.

Clem is on parole pending upcoming hearings in January and March. So this story is not over yet.

Robin writes:

Clem has been let out on parole pending his Jan. and March hearings.

There is a Santa Claus after all !!!

Thank-you everyone for inundating our Senators with letters. We don’t know if it was the lawyers, the letters, the Union heads asking the Senators to look into Clem’s case, or  a combination of everything, but he’s home now.

We are going to keep up the web-site for updates.

And our first order of business is to help  two of Clem’s inmates, Zeff from Albania and Cheybou from Cameroon.

Clem will write you soon and relay some amazing tales.

Until then, many thanks and much love,

Robin  and the rest of the family

So stay tuned. In the meantime, you can read Mackenzie’s reaction to the release.

Clem’s case featured on

December 8, 2008 by  
Filed under Featured, News

An article covering Clem’s wrongful detention was recently published by It had prominent place on editor’s favorites on the front page for an entire day.

What we need to do is get it onto other websites. Please read the article and then digg it. This means clicking on the digg link on the article, then registering on the digg website and entering that you “digg” the article. The more people who digg it, the more people will then choose to read it.

Please get as many people to digg it as possible. This is one way we can build up his case and get more people involved.

You can read the article here.

You can digg the article here.

The Unfortunate Outcome

November 24, 2008 by  
Filed under Featured, News

Today was the court hearing on Varick Street, as many of you already know. I was absolutely delighted that when I arrived several member’s from my dad’s work had already arrived. As we continued to wait to go into the hearing room, more and more people showed up to support my dad. We filled up the waiting room and the benches in the hearing room and totaled twenty people! (Many thanks to those who showed up as family, colleagues, soccer mates, and concerned friends) It was a great feeling to have people there with us and I know my dad was very touched by the turnout. Despite our “large” turnout, we met some very unfortunate news today.

My dad was denied to post bond to get out of jail. According to the judge, it was not in his jurisdiction to decide that. The judge did, however, listen to the case and said that the offense is not deportable, unless my dad does not show up to court on January 20, 2009. The lawyer is appealing for parole/posting bond which he estimates will take 3-4 weeks. For now, we must sit tight… If posting bond is denied, my dad will be in jail till March when the hearing can come before a judge who can really decide his fate.

My mom is inundated with phone calls, emails, and paper work so she will get back to everyone as soon as she can. Feel free to email me or my mom, we are open to any suggestions you may have. It’s time to put our heads together.